Cynical view of Decon!

From: IN%"jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "John Young" 16-OCT-1994 16:05:55.23
To: IN%"00MTDARRALL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
CC:
Subj: (Fwd) Re: FLW Imperium et al

Date: Sun, 16 Oct 1994 17:05:14 -0400
From: John Young <jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: (Fwd) Re: FLW Imperium et al
To: 00MTDARRALL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Forwarding mail by: 00mtdarrall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx () on Sat, 15 Oct
12:23 PM
-------------------

John,

I just read your post on the de-conners, et. al. My reply is
"HUH?" but I think I know what you're getting at. De-con
scares me, but that is not to say that the issues of
experience and meaning aren't important. They are.

I may be unsophisticated, but I don't believe that De-Con does
anything but sell books and lectures and serves as an excuse
to design anywhichway. Like Eisenman who feels he must
"create" a site archaeology. What about the real one?

Gehry, on the other hand, is joyful---all play of materials and
forms with little need to publish a book to explain his latest
work. As he refuses to be overly (and overtly) "intellectual"
about his work, he is not considered a true "de-conner." Which
is just as well.

Human experience is far and away varied and rich enough to
support an architecture that touches the soul without the
prerequisite purchase of the
latest-and-greatest-bought-it-at-Rizzoli-for-seventy-bucks-disser
tation-on-
some-literary-construct-that-passes-for-an-explanation-of-the-mea
ning-of-life- book.

BTW, the next issue of the Ball State AIAS newsletter (i'm the
unfortunate slug who edits it) will have as its theme:

"ARE EISENMAN AND GEHRY THE BEAVIS AND BUTT-HEAD OF
ARCHITECTURE?"

We'll see...

Mark