Radiance redux! A little more "light" on the subject

From: IN%"mdespot@xxxxxxxxxx" 17-OCT-1994 11:39:14.19
To: IN%"00mtdarrall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
CC:
Subj:

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 11:39:04 -0500 (EST)
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by BSUVC.bsu.edu
From: mdespot@xxxxxxxxxx
To: 00mtdarrall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

(Smail3.1.28.1 #24) id m0qwv4x-0000YRC; Mon, 17 Oct 94 09:38 PDT
To: 00mtdarrall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: mdespot@xxxxxxxxxx (Michel de Spot)
Subject: Re: More Radiant Floors!
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 09:40:16
cc: mdespot@xxxxxxxxxx

In article 00mtdarrall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Michel,
>I need to start reading all the messages in a group before I start replying!
>I'm a third-year B.Arch. student, so I don't fully (yet) understand all the
>physics---we're only taking our first systems course now, though I've worked
>on HVAC in the past.

>Could you offer some insight into control strategies that would deal with
>the long lag time of these systems, as mentioned by Jonathan?

>Mark

Mark:
The control system in my house is a Tekmar (made in germany) that drives a
4-way mixing valve. There is a "8" loop with the mixing valve in the center of
the "8". One loop carry high temp (60 deg Celsius) water through the boiler,
the other loop low temp +-(30 deg C) through various parallell loops in the
floor. The flow is constant and the mixing valve varies the temperature of
the low temp loop. The "Tekmar" controls the valve from an outside temperature
sensor ( not from an inside thermostat). Any difference of temperature in the
outside will result in a difference in temperature in the water send to
the house. Therefore there is no lag time between inside and outside
temperature. Also, the system has a 24-hour clock for reducing the heat input
at night or when the house is not occupied.
RE: The convection debate. In my home is an open design with very few
walls. the height beween the lowest floor and the ceiling is approx. 30 feet.
This week end, I measured the difference in temperature between the lowest
and highest point : Result : 1 degree Celsius !.