Re: Cynical view of Decon!

The problem with current architectural theory or "ism" arguements is that
they tend to be concerned with a rather narrow set of issues and somehow
convinced that there is only one "truth."

With all the extreme comments on Eisenman, both positive and negative, you
might be interested in knowing that Peter admitted last week in a talk here
in Cincinnati that his architectural explorations are approrpriate for only
a limited number of projects (he claimed 10% but others would probably
reduce this).

Rather than focus on our differences or attempt to impose our particular
narrow biases on others, perhaps we should be exploring the ways that we
can benefit from exposure to diverse and even contradictory ideas.
Creativity is not based on the tabula rasa, nor is it achieved by imposing
one particular view point. Truly creative design accomodates many diverse
views and makes connection between issues that may appear to be
disassociated.

Maybe we are all like the man who keeps snapping his fingers to keep the
elephants away. Well, if not all of us, at least YOU. I, of course can
always maintain a proper persepctive on issues.

David Lee Smith