Decon: words do have meaning

>Secondly, one of the fundamental tenants of "decon" is decentering,
>shifting emphasis to the periphery as mechanism for enhancing pluralism,

I fear that 'tenants' may have been a Freudian slip, :-) for the great
danger of decon is that seeks to hold sway by the same kind of
mystic-making jargon that the barons---like the Wizard of Oz---once used to
keep their peasants enslaved: impress them with fancy words they couldn't
possibly understand. :-)

My problem with decon is, in fact, all the fancy words. What does the quote
(above) mean? Let's 'deconstruct' it, which I shall take to mean
'understand.' But even before 'understand' let's see what it SAYS.

The operative phrase is 'shifting emphasis to the periphery as mechanism
for enhancing pluralism.' That means little without (perhaps) the prior
lead-in sentences. Who is to be 'shifting emphasis?' Where is the
'periphery?' Does that mean in a house design we put (even) more emphasis
on siding i.e. the periphery? Is that what the periphery is? Siding or
cladding? Who is supposed to be 'shifting emphasis?' Is this a call for
further government intervention to increase the growth of the suburbs? (
The 'periphery?') Does it mean that we use only recycled materials?
'peripheral materials?' Or do we build only round houses or domes so that
we have a clear 'periphery' to which we can 'shift emphasis?' Or is it a
call for a renewed voting rights act to spread the franchise to people now
on the 'periphery' of society?

You know I might actually agree with the substance of decon, if I could
find any.

To paraphrase Professor Higgins, 'Why can't decons simply SAY what they mean?'

>Thirdly, If you fell asleep during point two, there is no fhope.

There may be hope. I didn't fall asleep. I started laughing. I thought you
were joking. :-)

***

PS I'm not in the tenure game.

David

David Sucher...author/photographer...Seattle, Washington
CITY COMFORTS: How to Build an Urban Village
CITY COMFORTS is not about any particular city.
It is an attempt to shift the focus of public policy discussion from
systems and large projects and grandiose visions to the details that create
our daily experience. It is about a way of looking at and speaking about
our physical environment.