(fwd) Curb extensions - hazardous?

This is an good question. Maybe some here on design-l & trans-l knows of
some studies.

>From: Joel Woodhull <jwoodhull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Newsgroups: alt.planning.urban
>Date: 19 Oct 94 22:24 PDT
>Subject: Curb extensions - hazardous?
>
>There is a proposal for curb extensions at a crosswalk in
>downtown LA, to enable residents of a large senior housing
>complex to cross the street more quickly and safely in order to
>shop at a large market across the street.
>
>The traffic engineers have voiced their usual reaction to
>everything they don't like - "It would be dangerous." We don't
>believe them of course, but it would be better to have a study
>that backs us up.
>
>Anybody know of such a study?
>
>Joel Woodhull
>Pasadena

David Sucher...author/photographer/etc...Seattle, Washington
CITY COMFORTS: How to Build an Urban Village
CITY COMFORTS is not about any particular city.
It is an attempt to shift the focus of public policy discussion from
systems and large projects and grandiose visions to the details that create
our daily experience. It is about a way of looking at and speaking about
our physical environment.