Re: Cynical view of Decon!

Mark (of Beavis and Butthead fame)

Let's Talk Definitions:

1. What is YOUR Vitruvian Test?

2. Who wrote the definition of Deconstructivism I posted on this board?

3. What is the difference between Deconstructivism and Deconstruction?

4. What is Derrida's definition of 'Deconstruction'?

5. Why do people persist in calling both Deconstructivist and Deconstruction
architecture 'Decon'?

Isn't that a brand of bug killer?

6. If you understand all of this all ready, especially Derrida's definition
of Deconstruction, and you feel Deconstruction is limited and
useless, then why do you employ his description of language as
"just WORDS" that in the end are just endlessly signifying
other words and so language is a very uncertain construct?
Have you no respect for Derrida, or no knowledge of?

I have always understood Derrida to be calling to our attention that all
language (signifier and signified) is shaky, and thus all constructs and
paradigms built on language (what theory is not based on language?) are
open to crtiticism, unpeeling, and even dismantling if necessary to further
compound this basic concept, that I feel Magrite captured the best in his
"This is not a Pipe" statement. I can tell you this is a Pipe. You may
believe it is a long Pipe, a short Pipe, an old/new Pipe, and a multitude
of different pipes are possible to be recalled in your mind. But, if I tell
you that "This is not a Pipe", then you imagine a Pipe for sure, regardless
of my negation of it. Thus it matters not which Pipe you imagine, since
it is not a Pipe at all.

Forgive me in advance, but Stick that in your Pipe and Smoke it.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
'` ,::;' ::; : Arch/Net Junkie
,::;,,,,,,,,,;;' : NJIT Grad Student
.: ,::; : Riding Out Recession
"";;;;"" : jfp7400@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Great architects are notoriously lax and irresponsible.
There is so much more of the artist than the business-
man that they brush economy aside in their mad desire to
attain beauty." - Whistler in 'Vanbrugh, Arch/Dramatist'