Re: Cynical view of Decon!

On Sat, 22 Oct 1994, John Young wrote:

> This asks the right question. Here's one answer from a
> long-time practitioner/philospher.
>
> Reading Derrida's Post Card and then reading Sweet's makes the
> latter much more comprehensible and accessible for use on my
> work.

OK, finally a simply-stated straightforward declarative. "I read this book
and it has helped me." I like that. I'll go check out this Post Card (which
I assume is the name of the 'work')

Further afield. Would you say that these deCon writing would also inform
the shape of cities? of urban design imperatives? etc. I mean, it's all
very well to leave out panels in a suspended-ceiling grid (though I assume
you are talking more profound things and I just use that as quick example
of architectural 'dislocation'). But would a deCon approach to cities put
the retail spaces of a building on the top floor and the 'boiler room' at
sidewalk level behind nice big windows?

What results from a decon approach to urban planning and design? Please, I
need specifics. How would the spatial relationships change? How would the
individual's experience of the city be any different? Would the sewer
lines be places on utility poles and the power/telephone lines be placed
underground? Would the cars park on the sidewalk and the humans walk in
the street?

Sucher
CITY COMFORTS: How to Build an Urban Village
'it's simpler than you think.'