Housing and Urban Decline

I am working on an inventory of all 6,000+ housing units in a poor urban
neighborhood. This information will be used for a database that rates
a buildings condition. A general repair index will be utilized; ie...
good, needs minor/major rehab, needs demolition, land needs sod, etc.
This updateable model of the housing condition will be used primarily to
manage the Vacant Lands and Boarded Houses.

My question (in a neighborhood of 81% rental, 19% homeownership):

What is the best way to quickly contain this housing epidemic?
In what ways could Rental programs affect stabilizing a high-density
urban village?

I speculate that if monies were spent in a ratio appropriate to the
h.o./renter breakdown, that the process would be confined from growing
in the future. And if these polar approaches were to close in on the
instability, that it may vanish. My assumptions are that Rental change
will have a greater impact on controlling the problem, and that whatever
is pursued in these housing matters...it needs to operate at a profit.

Has an Urban Community ever embraced its Rental poplulation, and had a
sense of common unity? Participation, etc. Or is the gap that exists
here the same one there, without profitable low-income opportunities.

These questions revolve around land for sale. What should be done with
it, and with those saveable housing units? Home-ownership or Rental?
And will this management of properties pursue the needs of the entire
community (renters) in pursuing control and order over boarded properties?

thanks,

brian

ps. D. Sucher, CITY COMFORTS...creating an urban village...anything?
"i say Mumford "Technics and Civilization" or
Ellul "The Technological Society"