Re: gotic and north american arq...

>Lemme see if I can field this one...
>
>IN addition to affecting the way my local catholic church was constructed,
>gothic architecture had a lot of influence on the forgotten side of the chicago
>architecture story -- represented by the Tribune Tower.
>
>For a long time, (it is my understanding that) skyscraper architects looked to
>the gothic as the archetype of the TALL BUILDING to which they could look for
>a model for their own works.

Yes, definitely. It also had an influence on Victorian wooden buildings;
the style was called "carpenter gothic." And I believe eclectic
postmodernism is again re-using gothic elements, though examples don't
spring to mind.

R.

Randolph Fritz
Software engineer, network wizard, and architecture student
randolph@xxxxxxxxxx
Mountain View, California, Earth