Re: Good Grief!

Good grief, am I in trouble, not just here but on another list
where the same mess occurred. Several suggestions have been
made about the cause and possible solutions. (One person
suggested that it's the Bosnian syndrome brought on Mr. Woods'
work.)

Which let's me pose a design problem:

We seem to have different systems, hard and soft, and need a
better design for our systems to happily talk.

First, background (groan):

I have my own IBM 66MHz, with 2.4GB storage, and use a
commercial Windows interface to the Net which includes a mailer
that does certain things, like attachments, automagically.

Believe it or not, when stuff leaves here it looks good, and I
learn of problems when they come back as complaints of various
degrees (hot). Usually it's because the Windows interface has
done something that is not standard Out There in Unix-land.
Sometimes it's because of lack of storage at the other end, or
limited access time to waste on long or numerous posts.

I can receive almost unlimited downloads: here at my machine
or the even more capacious storage available, automatically, at
my Net provider.

Also, I have unlimited access to the Net, 24 hours a day, 365
days, for a flat fee (a really good deal that came from a
start-up firm seeking customers).

(FWIW, my provider, The Pipeline, has recently signed a deal to
market its product world-wide as a standard for consumer
interface to the Net. I have heard that it will give its
software to companies to boost the standard while selling
access.)

What I don't know is what other people have, hardware and soft,
format and storage, access time and cost. And, I'm no computer
wizard, so I may not know if you tell me.

And, I have learned that few people, especially students, have
a generous setup like mine. Thus, I inadverdently cause abuse
by a mismatch of resources.

The design questions (ta da):

What do universities and commercial accounts provide now in the
way of hard and soft services different from mine to
accommodate the changing Net population? How much does it
cost, who pays, and how much for machine use, storage, and net
access? And, what should all these be?

What hardware and software changes might be needed to handle my
type of mass-marketing, mindless Windoze hookup if it becomes
the standard? For example, I have few problems with
sophisticated domains where there are high-capacity, high-speed
systems running software that recognizes whatever comes in and
translates it to whatever format is needed for redistribution.
The problems yesterday were with lists served by the same
software.

Should people like me get out of Windows and into something
else? What?

What other inter-communication problems are people having?

How many people are holding off on posting anything because the
format does not suit their tastes, skills, whatever?

And so on.

Good grief! I'm feeling cowed by all this operational
interference.

Surely unsub is not the only answer.

John