Re: Housing and Urban Decline

Oh, Ray,
Social Darwinism just isn't "me." I was oversimplifying for the sake of
the point---of course you need rental units; that's where people get
started and that's where they go when they don't need the space of a
house. But I think it's pretty tough to have a vital community where 80%
of the population is renting. It depends, though on the NATURE of the
situation. If the rental units are in decent shape (as defined by some
standard), and the quality of life is perceived by the population as
being good, then I'd say leave it be.

But if the units are in bad shape, and the occupants spend most of
their money on rent and utilities and are eating poorly, etc. as a result,
then something needs to be done. This is why Brian's inventory is so
important. While gathering data on condition of the buildings, he can
gather data on the community itself through census data, survey, or
the community-participatory process I mentioned earlier. I think it is
important that the PEOPLE have a large hand in deciding what their needs
are.

The designer's job here is to facilitate that process.

As to the severely poor and unemployed, you know the answer as well as I:
we are our brother's keeper and there, but for the grace of God, go I.

Mark