shopping centers: 'reCon' anyone?

I'm looking for examples of remodeling shopping centers. I don't mean
adding a food court and a POMO (I just got that one off another group)
cornice.

I'm looking for examples of shopping centers that have undergone the 'urban
village' and 'traditional neighborhood development' treatment. This might
include adding housing and/or office space. The reformation of the suburban
strip mall and shopping center has got to be one of the great
needs/challenges of this decade and the next century.

I am aware that Duaney and Plater-Zyberk have re-done one in
Massachusetts(?). Any reactions to it? Is it commercially successful? Do
the customers like it? etc.etc. Anybody here actually been to it?

Are there any other examples of such deliberate 'reCon' of a 'traditional'
shopping center to 'civilize' it?

Thanks.

David [email protected]
CITY COMFORTS: How to Build an Urban Village
'it's simpler than we think.'