Intelligent Interior Design

- - The original note follows - -

From: bossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Giuliano Bossi)
Subject: Intelligent Interior Design
Date: 27 Oct 1994 11:53:51 +0100

Hi!

I'm studying computer science here in Milano, Italy. For my final dissertation
I have to study the development and implement a prototype of an expert system
in Intelligent Interior Design field. People from DESIGN-L mailing list maybe
remember my messages. Anyway, insted of talking about the implementation
aspect, I would like to know your opinion about needs, bads and goods for such
a system. I think that architects could take good advantages from this kind of
system.

To explain my idea, I'm thinking about a system that can accept a plant and
some constraints about:
- functional specifications;
- relational specifications;
- precise object specifications.
Objects are chosen from a catalog library and a full project is given as
output. The user could then criticize the project, modifying specifications or
introducing new constraints.

The system should be able to do at least routine design, but I'd like to point
to innovative design and, if possible, to creative design. In this context,
design is not indended in term of producing new manufacts, but in term of
composing interior design of particular environments. I'm thinking especially
about environments like offices, hospitals, banks, public administration, etc.,
in which you often have modular composition. I hope that, in these
environments, such a system could help architects in doing "rough" design,
letting them concentrating on more particular or interesting aspect. What do
you think about? I'd really appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Bye, Giuliano

PS: this message is crossposted to alt.architecture and DESIGN-L mailing list.
--
Piergiuliano Bossi
e-mail: bossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx