3dstudio list

-- WHAT IS 3D Studio? --

3D Studio is a 3D modeling, rendering and animation package from the
makers of AutoCAD, Autodesk, Inc. The software runs on the IBM/compatible
platform. The 3D Studio software allows users to create three
dimensional photo-realistic images for a variety of purposes.

-- WHY ARE WE DOING THIS? --

This mailing list is for those interested in the 3D Studio software, how
it operates and in ideas on how to obtain the best quality images
available to them. The list is for those who own the software as well
as those just interested in what can be done with the package. We hope
to share information, tips, procedures and to bond as a group.

Autodesk, Inc. has agreed to host this Mail-List as a service to the
Internet community. This is NOT an offical means of product
support for 3D Studio. However, support questions that are posted to
the list will most likely get answered by other members of the
Mail-List group.

-- WHAT ARE THE RULES? --

Since 3D Studio is just a part of suite of tools required to produce 3D
graphics and animation, I'm sure we will discuss a few items related to
the IBM/Compatible platform and display devices. However, we will
strive to keep the subject revolving specifically around the 3D
software, related tools and products.

You do NOT have to own 3D Studio to join this list!

-- OK! HOW DO I JOIN? --

To become a member of the 3D Studio mailing list you must send a mail
message to the address:

majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxx

In the body of the message enter:

subscribe 3dstudio

Example:

subscribe 3dstudio

The majordomo software will automatically subscribe you to the list and
you can also unsubscribe the same way using unsubscribe instead of
subscribe as the command you send to the majordomo software

-- HOW DO I POST TO THE LIST? --

Contributing to the list is simple. Just mail your articles to the
following address:

3dstudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Your article will be processed by the system and distributed to all
others joined to the list. Your articles will also be sent to you so
you know that your article has made it to the list.

-- HOW DO I QUIT THE LIST? --

Simply mail a request to be removed from the list to the same address
you used to sign up:

majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxx

In the body of the message enter:

unsubscribe 3dstudio <address>

PLEASE, if you join the list and your account is going to be closed or
if you will not be able to receive mail for a while, send a request to
be removed from the list! If you are just going to lose access for a
short while still send a request for a suspension of your membership.

-- WHAT ABOUT OLD ARTICLES? --

All articles sent to the 3dstudio maillist list are archived and available
via both email and ftp.

Starting 7/1, the archives will be split out and compressed quarterly. The
compression being used is "gzip", which is quickly becoming and internet
standard. The gzip utility is available via both access methods.

EMAIL Access

to access the archives via email, send mail to 3dstudio-arch@xxxxxxxxxxxx, and
in the message body, put "dir", or "get <filename>" if you know which file you
want to get. To Get the gzip utility, simply put the word "archive" on a line
by itself in the mail's message body.

FTP Access

anonymous ftp to ftp.autodesk.com, and change to the /pub/listserv/3ds
directory. All of the archives are there (updated nightly).

-- NOW WHAT DO I DO? --

Well, sit back and enjoy the pouring out of information. If you have
something to offer, please feel free to contribute that information to
the list. Every little bit helps. Questions are welcomed! It makes
some of us feel important when we can answer them. <grin>

If you have any questions or comments regarding the list, please contact
me at the address:

3dstudio-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxx