Re: CADD

On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, Bill Eichman wrote:

> Why? OS and chip wars are infinite, and everyone has an opinion.
> Specific descriptions of advantages and capabilities and experiences
> with shortcomings are what is needed for purchase decisionmaking. It's
> self-evident that one should buy as much ram as can be afforded-- it's
> also self-evident that someone who prefers macs would prefer them....
>
> Machines do nothing by themselves. It's the whole system, base computer,
> application, and output hardware that comprises a working design tool.
>
> A more specific and elaborate answer is called for in this case. IMHO.
>
> Later, Bill

Computers must be approached backwards. What you want in the end should
decide what you use to get there. Every system has it's problem. (Try
running any CAD or rendering program on a PowerMac 7100 without at least
24 meg of ram. It can be painfully slow. Or try moving files from the
Mac to the PC. The DXF isn't all it's cracked up to be)

Unfortunately, most people are platform biased. I don't care about the
platform. (10 years from now will we talk about platforms at all?)
MAC/PC/UNIX whatever it takes. Learn the concept not the system.

t.SC