Re: ARE/AIA/NCARB- licensing hell!!

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture.alternative
From: Virgil Carter <vcarter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ARE/AIA/NCARB- licensing hell!!
Sender: usenet@xxxxxxxxxx (News admin)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 16:05:07 GMT

marskii@xxxxxxx (Marskii) wrote:

> In article <48oi4k$ot2$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bryan winter:
> 75302,3713@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <75302.3713@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I am starting to get concerned about the nuances of Architectural
> > licensing in different states as a young designer, I will sit for
> > the exam with 7 year's experience but only a 4-year BS in
> > architecture. can anyone e-mail me regarding the chances that my
> > NY license will get or lack reciprocity in other states, and how
> > will this affect overseas work?
>
> NCARB is a good place to start, but some states require a 5-year
> professional degree for licensure. Also, NCARB certification is not
> enough for reciprocity in some states; for example, California requires
> you to sit for an oral exam.

It is the policy of the NCARB, I belive, that they will not grant an
NCARB Certificate to anyone that does not have a professional degree
in architecture--ie., a B. Architcture or M. Architecture. There may
be some equivalency procedure for those with non-professional, 4-year,
architectural degree. OTOH, there are a lot of licensed architects
who have a 4-year degree that are unable to obtain an NCARB Certifi-
cate, or reciprocity form states that have adopted the NCARB model.

What a state licensing board actually adopts is up to them.

The AIA opposes a unilateral requirement for a professional degree.