Re: Ayn Rand

Micheal Benedikt's book is one of importance in my view. I too have read
this book for Professor Barry Newton at KU. Basically in my mind everything
that Micheal has to say is basically true. No longer are buildings what
they seem to be. One can not tell whether a building is a school or an
office. Each one of these buildings have their own characteristics and they
should not be changed for it will be confusing in the future when you and I
start to design buildings for clients. We will not know the characteristics
offices are, so our design will be faulty and untrue to the past.
I disagree with Benedikt on the point that architects should not use
materials such as plastic and try to pass it off as concrete. According to
him that use of material is "fake". For example what if our client wants an
all concrete building just for the look that it has but they can not afford
it. Is it not our job to find some material that can look like concrete? I
believe that it is. So what is the problem to using plastic for such a
task? That is my question.

Jonathan Tallman
University of Kansas
School of Architecture and Design