Re: City Comforts

> Wayde wrote:
>
> >It would be worth it going out there to see the Cinerama
> Festival of Classics.
>
> Unfortunately, none of them were filmed in Cinerama.
>
> What's neat, of course, is the revival of the large, comfy
> theater with
> a BIG screen and BIG sound.

When the original company that introduced the proprietary Cinerama format
folded (back in the 1970s, I believe), the various Cinerama theatre owners
around the country immediately bought up all available Cinerama equipment
and stored it (primarily for parts to keep their existing machines going).
When Paul Allen started redoing the Cinerama, he was unable to convince any
of these equipment/theatre owners to part with enough equipment to make the
refurbished Seattle Cinerama a true Cinerama theatre. Hence, my
understanding is that it has a regular movie projector, just like the
mega-ultraplex at your local strip mall.

~g

J. Gregory Wharton
Architect
Seattle, Washington