Re: AutoCAD? Bravo!

At 01:16 PM 4/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 06:47:48 PDT Betty Woent <kenny_maekit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote, in part, the following:
>
>" . . . many of us here at school have been asked one question before
>any other, "do you know autocad?". my question is, if thats all you
>care about, do i want to work with you?"
>
>That is one of the most intelligent questions posed yet!
>
>For me, it suggests that there might be a staff of AutoCAD workers that
>are NOT architect-educated to do the drafting tasks of the designer
>architects.
>
>.H.

and i would say, if that's the conclusion you jump to simply by being asked
if you know autocad, i would not WANT to hire you. i ALWAYS ask if my
prospective employees know autocad, along with other types of software. i
want/need to know how immediately my new employee will be able to "jump in"
and start working, and how much time others in the office will need to
spend assisting in this training.

of course it is but one element in the stew of qualities that i evaluate in
hiring people. and i do agree that it would be stupid to hire SOLELY on an
"autocad literacy" basis. but i think it is also stupid to assume that
simply being asked if you know autocad reveals an office of "autocadatons."
and, all other qualities being equal (design skills, communication skills,
experience level, etc) i would hire the autocad trained person over the
non-autocad trained person.

Ronald Evitts
90-96 Stanton St. 3A
New York, NY 10002