Re: Why the towers collapsed

Yes, the "steel core" refers to steel framework around the core
of elevators, stairs mechanical and electrical systems. I'm not
sure that "trusses support the floors" is correct for all floors. There
were mechanical complexes composed of several floors at
various levels of the tower. These I believe included trusswork,
but the typical floors I think were reinforced concrete slabs with
some beams spanning from the outside columns to the core.
This is from dimmish memory.

Perhaps some saw a few weeks ago an art project which project
a person-size balcony from the face of one of the buildings. The
artists removed without permission one of the panes and constructed
a cantilevered platform, a person went out on it and a telephoto
was taken to record the event. The photo was shown in galleries
but few saw the actual construction which was put up and taken
down in an hour or so. Gutsy stuff, considering that pedestrians
below could have been killed or injured by the process. TheWTC
threatened to prosecute when the project made the newspapers.
Don't know if that happened. There were a number of artists in
the building, invited to take space under an arts subsidy program.