Re: technically well designed stuff

A philosopher, Sartre probably, described magic as the main competitor
for reason, and probably more powerful for most people on the planet.
Religion couldn't exist without magic, not to say black magic, black mass
and blackhearted exploitation of the gullibly terrified. Some argue politics
is black magic dressed in sharkskin, legitimized by, ahem, the law.

Reason, and its bastard, logic, and the mini-bastards, the sciences, aim
to supplant popularly accessible magic by opularly inaccessible constructs,
at least not accessible to those without scientific faith in instruments,
theories, and experiment.

What is appealing about psychiatry is its melding of black magic with
science, Freud was honest enough to admit that while his followers
can only mystify the arcanity and up the billing and addictive treatment
by castigating backsliders (those who refuse to tithe the hourly rate
religiously).

On a gigantic scale the peacetime military has lifted blackhearted black
magic to an unearthly level, with NASA's help at the altar of mystical
technology of unbelievable cost and orchestrated risk requiring sacrifice
of astronauts to terrify and entertain the awe-struck believers.

No wonder there is a widespread search for a simpler past, of belief and
behavior, of re-enactment, of re-historicization, of plumbing the depths
of memory (real or fanciful) to avoid the hammering of the magicians who
spiel a frightening present and future filled with enduring terrorism, as if
the plague-ridden, death-riding medieval has returned to the earth to
ward off, what, ah yes, the Enlightenment of Reason.

What the laughably-new-aged-named Enlightenment has brought forth
more than anything else is world-wide machinery for slaughtering humans,
thanks to universalizing science -- despite the beneficial spin persistently
broadcast for reason's liberating from the dark.

Art, poor art, how pitifully and futilely it struggles against being perceived
only as useful for spinmeistering -- call that advertising, perhaps cultural
criticism -- and celebrating witch burning.

Goyaesque, warprofiting. MoMAification. Old and modernist masters auctioned
for millions.

There's an artist in Manhattan outdoor advertising, wall stickering, for
burning the Church of the Art Establishment.