Giovanni Battista Piranesi.

For those who are interested, the only collection of Piranesi one dozen pen and ink drawings are available for viewing at the Soane Museum, London, England. .H.

----- Original Message -----
From: lauf-s
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 7:47 AM
Subject: 4 October 1720, etc.

Giovanni Battista Piranesi was born 4 October 1720.

Although very little of his designs were actually executed in built form, Piranesi nonetheless often signed his work with the title of architect. For example, the frontispiece of Le Antichita Romane volume II contains a signature plaque with the architect designation -- www.quondam.com/temp/signature.jpg . When I started working on Prince of Traffic (part 2 now complete -- www.quondam.com/temp/viaappia.jpg ) I had no idea the original print depicted a fantastical view of the Appian Way. It really is something like a funerary "rush hour."

And how about Mount St. Helens "fuming" in the news again. Wasn't aware of the coincidence before, but 18 May 1980, when Mount St. Helens last exploded, was also my mother's 56th birthday. My maternal grandmother once told me about the fire alarm being sounded in Brestowatz, Yugoslavia on 18 May 1924. The Danube had begun to break its banks, thus an emergency call for all men in the region was sounded. "Well, that sure explains Mom."

Personally, I see the recent volcanic activity in Washington State as a sign that 'Happy Birthday Helena Augusta' hit its mark, especially since I (embarrassingly remember that I) forgot my own mother's birthday 18 May 1980.

Death of Marcel Duchamp 2 October 1968.
Birth of Giovanni Battista Piranesi 4 October 1720.
Birth of Le Corbusier 6 October 1887.
Death of Otto I of Bavaria 11 October 1916.

Napoleon's arrival at St. Helena Island 15 October 1815.
--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...