David Adjaye, Length x Width x Height (work in progress), 2004.

http://www.iniva.org/season/site/project_08

David Adjaye, Length x Width x Height (work in progress), 2004.

Length x Width x Height is a unique site-specific installation by architect David Adjaye that physically maps the site of inIVA and Autograph's new home, inviting visitors on a journey through space and light that registers the conditions of the Rivington Place site, both physically and emotionally. Building on previous collaborative projects with artists Chris Ofili and Faisal Abdu'Allah and his celebrated Asymmetric Chamber (Cube, Manchester, 2003), this new project by Adjaye takes the idea of architecture as sculpture onto a larger scale. Employing the basic elements of architecture - scale and measurement, space and light - Adjaye creates a structure that asks visitors to engage with architecture on a purely physical and emotional level. Constructed from the waste materials of the building industry - the in-between things that usually lie hidden from public gaze - Adjaye's chamber marks out a physical space where we are invited to reflect upon all the other 'hidden' elements of architecture. What lies above and below? What memories and traces of previous occupants and structures have been erased? Where do the boundaries lie between one structure and another, between one way of seeing the world and another? The work incorporates a sound journey with contributions from local people, curated and composed by DJ and writer Charlie Dark.

One of the leading British architects of his generation, David Adjaye lectures internationally and his practice Adjaye/Associates has won a number of prestigious commissions.These include the Idea Store, a new-build library in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets; the Nobel Peace Centre in Oslo, Norway; the second annual Frieze Art Fair pavilion, Regent's Park, London; and the Bernie Grant Centre, a theatre, cafe and square in Tottenham, London.

This project is supported by Romag.

[ jump to Limited Edition Print ]

Details
Opening Hours: Wednesday - Sunday / 12 noon - 6pm / free admission

Rivington Place,
off Rivington Street,
London EC2A

Information: +44 (0)20 7729 9616

[ jump to Site menu etc ]

Limited Edition Print
50 limited edition lithographic prints by David Adjaye are available for 200 pounds excluding framing, VAT, post and packaging from inIVA. Each print is signed and numbered. Please call 020 7729 9616 for more details.

NOTE: I had earlier sent this piece to Design List without thinking very much about it. For me, as an installation, I find his very limited by Cartesian thinking. Therefore, for me, it seems to be not as deep a study of content as it is of technological architectural form. (I could be wrong, since being there to actually experience the piece is necessary.) Of course, I am speaking from experience. Of the two installations done by me, both were prophetic. One, done at The Cranbrook Academy of Art predicted the likelihood of my death; and the other, done at Penn State, predicted the likely demise of the head of architecture. Both predictions/premonitions were true. That is, I almost died of a pulmonary embolism and phenomena shortly after the work was installed; and the department head was on his way within two days after the installation. My installations seem to incur some kind of magic. (I have been interested in conjuring for 60 years; and that is a different kind of magic.) I am not sure why these events happened. But, I would like to do another installation---just to see!

.H.