List Moderation Looming?

Howard seems determined to force his political agenda onto
Design-L while excluding those of others. See messages
below which are news to me.

Howard originated this list, and for many years, at least from
1994 until he asked me to serve as administator, he allowed
a wide range of opinions to be posted, indeed it was that courage
in the face of periodic calls for "moderation," -- that is, attempts
by a few to have Howard favor their positions -- that most
impressed me about his stewardship.

To be sure during those periods a bountiful amount of other
discussion occurred. The comparatively sparse amount of
postings now could accentuate those which some may think
are too "political." But those dry periods have also occurred
before.

Moderation all too often inhibits enlightenig discourse, based
on the experience of other lists, and fosters a ghetto
mentality. That is happening the US now and needs very
much to be resisted.

It would be helpful for subscribers to offer their views on
moderation before it is imposed for a singular political
purpose. No offense meant to Howard, for he has shown
exemplary generosity heretofore and will surely do so
in the future.

At the present time there are two list administrators, Howard
and me, after Howard returned from an extended hiatus. Howard
may still have the power to close the list, I'm not sure of what
his relationship to PSU is.

Political debate here is encouraged to flower, not wither.

-----