No Trouble in Tijuana.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6398334/

Ana Venegas / AP

A man walks past the Omnimax theater, one of the attractions at the Tijuana Cultural and Visitor Center in Tijuana, Mexico

NOTE: About 20 years ago, we had the pleasure of meeting, (either Manuel Rosen or Pedro Ramírez Vásquez, the architect of the Tijauana Cultural and visitor Center. Also, we met his spouse, a poet. (I think it was Manuel Rosen.) That meeting was prior to a visit to that place to see his architecture. I traveled there with our children, who were quite young at the time. The OMNIMAX theater presented, as I recall, comparatively different traffic rhythm images of three major cities, NYC, Rome, and Mexico City, D.F. The Center is certainly an improvement over the general character of Tijuana! We walked from there, passing by a wonderful, and abundantly-filled, mercado, to the commercial district.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/tijuana/1056010029.html
If you're looking to see a different side of Tijuana, the best place to start is the Centro Cultural Tijuana, Paseo de los Héroes, at Avenida Independencia (tel. 664/687-9600). You'll easily spot the ultramodern Tijuana Cultural Center complex, designed by irrepressible modern architect Pedro Ramírez Vásquez. Its centerpiece is a gigantic sand-colored dome that houses an OMNIMAX theater, which screens two different 45-minute films (subjects range from science to space travel). Each has one English-language show per day. Inside, the center houses the museum's permanent collection of Mexican artifacts from pre-Hispanic times through the modern political era, plus a gallery for visiting exhibits. They have included everything from the works of Diego Rivera to a disturbing, well-curated exhibit chronicling torture and human-rights violations through the ages. Music, theater, and dance performances are held in the center's concert hall and courtyard, and there's a cafe and an excellent museum bookshop. The center is open daily from 9am to 8:30pm; admission to the museum's permanent exhibits is free, there's a $2 charge for the special event gallery, and tickets for OMNIMAX films are $5 for adults and $3 for children.
http://jsis.artsci.washington.edu/programs/latinam/Webs/Program/Outreach/teaching_guide.asp?grade=11

Sayers Peden, Margaret. Out of the Volcano: Portraits of Contemporary Mexican Artists (paperback)
Photos by Carole Patterson. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1991. 256 pp. Grades: 10 and up

ISBN: 1-56098-061-3 $4.95
University of Washington Location: Suzzallo/Allen
Call #: NX514.Al.P4.1994

The world of contemporary Mexican artists-authors, playwrights, sculptors, poets, conductors, architects-and a few artisans comes to life in these 44 portraits. . . Through interviews, photographs, and selections of the authors' works, readers will definitely perceive the intellectual climate as well as the respect and admirations for the arts so prevalent in contemporary Mexico. Some of the artists represented are: Carlos Fuentes, José Emilio Pacheco, Octavio Paz, Manuel Alvarez Bravo, Rufino Tamayo, José Luis Cuevas, and Pedro Ramírez Vásquez. (Schon 1995)