Fw: ArchitectureWeek Notes No. 217

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 1:12 AM
Subject: ArchitectureWeek Notes No. 217

Dear ArchitectureWeek Readers,

ArchitectureWeek No. 217 is now available on the Web, with
these new design and building features, and more...

This issue is sponsored by Autodesk:

Autodesk(R) DWF(TM) Viewer is a lightweight, free application
developed for sharing designs electronically. Built around the DWF
(Design Web Format(TM)) file format, the viewer enables anyone to
view and print complex 2D and 3D drawings, maps, and models.

Download now and get your free copy of Autodesk DWF Viewer:
http://www.archweek.com/ad.cgi?www.autodesk.com/dq300100024dsf
-- * --

DESIGNING FOR MASSIVE CHANGE
by Katharine Logan
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/today.html
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/2004/1110/news_1-1.html

"Massive Change: The Future of Global Design," an
ambitious new exhibition on the domain of contemporary
design, began its three-year international tour at
British Columbia's Vancouver Art Gallery in October.

A 16,000-square-foot (1500-square-meter) installation
of staggering scope, Massive Change gallops the visitor
through the current issues in design, from the
challenges of an ever-expanding built environment and
an increasingly modified nature, through the
possibilities of composting plastics and aerated
super-insulating glass, to the dilemmas of genetically
engineered salmon and a human nose growing all alone
afloat in a glass jar.

Along the way and without slowing down, the exhibition
poses the question: "Now that we can do anything, what
will we do?"

"Design is one of the most powerful forces at work
today," says the exhibition's principal designer, Bruce
Mau, known for his interdisciplinary design practice
and his manifestos Life Style and "S,M,L,XL," the
latter in collaboration with Rem Koolhaas. "Design is
no longer simply a mechanism for adapting to the world
in which we live," Mau says, "but is profoundly
affecting change on a global scale."
... full story continues online (20 images):
http://www.ArchWeek.com/2004/1110/news_1-1.html

Going Wireless
by Evan H. Shu, FAIA
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/2004/1110/tools_1-1.html

Does it feel like the air is extra "charged" these
days? The air waves are buzzing with communications
from cellular telephones, remote control devices, and
global positioning devices. Our digital world is being
transformed by these technologies and, most recently,
by wireless networks.
... full story continues online (6 images):
http://www.ArchWeek.com/2004/1110/tools_1-1.html

-- * --
Your support grows ArchitectureWeek!
https://archweek.securesites.com/cgi-bin/support_archweek.cgi

Subscribe today and get full-size images in every weekly issue,
while skipping general advertising. Access more than 15,000 images
in our complete online archives.
It's fast, easy, private, and secure:
https://archweek.securesites.com/cgi-bin/support_archweek.cgi

* Discount student rate *
https://archweek.securesites.com/cgi-bin/support_archweek.cgi
-- * --

Product News - Balance Weave from Cambridge Architectural Mesh
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/2004/1110/products_update.html

Current Events and Exhibits
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/cgi-bin/calendar.cgi?e

Current Design Competitions
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/cgi-bin/calendar.cgi?d

Upcoming Conferences and Expos
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/cgi-bin/calendar.cgi?c

Contents and Surface of the Week - Baltic Brown Granite
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/2004/1110/contents.html

Architecture Puzzler - quiz this week
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/2004/1110/quiz.html

Architecture Answer - for last week's quiz...
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/2004/1110/answer.html

Classic Home 014 - Porch and Gambrel
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/classic_home.html

Jobs Board, Design and Building Products and Services
http://Marketplace.DesignCommunity.com/

Architecture Discussion Forum
http://arch.DesignCommunity.com/

Architecture Students Forum
http://students.DesignCommunity.com/

Plus every week you'll find the latest architectural headlines collected
from across the Web, in our News, Design, Building, Environment,
Culture, and Design Tools departments:
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/news.html
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/design.html
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/building.html
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/environment.html
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/tools.html
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/culture.html

And these continuing dimensions...
Daily Building, Scrapbook, Directory of Architects, Architecture
Books, Building of the Week, Free Classifieds, Great Buildings,
the ArchitectureWeek Online Library, Web Directory, complete
back issues online...

For any subscription-related questions, please contact us at
"subscriptions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".

Let us know your thoughts on these articles, ArchitectureWeek, or
the meaning of life, at "editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", or by
clicking here:
http://www.ArchWeek.com/cgi-bin/suggestion.cgi?today.html

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes,

Kevin Matthews
Editor in Chief

http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com . design, building, digital media
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
Artifice, Inc. ...the way of architecture
http://www.greatbuildings.com
http://www.designcommunity.com
541.345.7421 vox . 541.345.7438 fax . 800.203.8324 US toll free
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

Advertise in this weekly newsletter to 82,000 ArchitectureWeek readers!
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/ad_projects-email.html
Suggest a web site to be linked from our free Web Directory:
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/links/links.cgi?addurl
Update an entry in our free Professional Directory of 20,000 firms:
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/directory/directory_update.cgi
Join the free email list for these weekly email Notes:
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/subscribe.html
Add our rotating Architecture Headlines to your own web site:
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/ticker/ticker.html
Announce New Products in ArchitectureWeek:
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/product_update_submit.html
Advertise in ArchitectureWeek on the Web:
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/media_kit.html
Subscribe and contribute to help support ArchitectureWeek on the Web:
https://archweek.securesites.com/cgi-bin/support_archweek.cgi

To UNSUBSCRIBE, and also for self-service email address updating:

+ - - Copyright (c) 2004 Artifice, Inc. - All Rights Reserved. - - +
Click Forward in your email -- Share ArchWeek Notes with a friend!

Artifice. "1534. [a. F., ad. L. artificium] 1. The action of an
artificer, construction, workmanship. 2. The product of art. 3.
Mode or style of workmanship. 4. Constructive skill. 5. Human
skill. 6. Skill in expedients. 7. An ingenious expedient."
-- The Oxford Universal Dictionary, Third Edition

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...