"Massive Change: The Future of Global Design," British Columbia's Vancouver Art Gallery.

http://www.architectureweek.com/2004/1110/news_1-2.html

The exhibition poses this question.
Photo: Tim Bonham/Vancouver Art/Bruce Mau Design

Markets area of the exhibition.
Photo: Tim Bonham/Vancouver Art/Bruce Mau Design

The urbanization installation projects the ten densest cityscapes, and proposes scenarios for vertical, horizontal, and prefabricated housing.
Photo: Tim Bonham/Vancouver Art/Bruce Mau Design

Vancouver Art Gallery building in context.
Photo: Tim Bonham/ Vancouver Art Gallery

In the exhibition, Massive Change, astonishing images demonstrate what we are now able to perceive with each wavelength of the electromagnetic spectrum.
Photo: Robert Keziere/ Vancouver Art Gallery

A series of surprising statistics expresses global wealth and politics in relative quantities of key indicators.
Photo: Robert Keziere/ Vancouver Art Gallery

A gallery of "global portraits" expresses information technology's contribution to our growing understanding of the planet.
Photo: Barrett Lyon, The Opte Project

A gallery of unsuspected relationships between military and consumer technologies challenges the optimism of the rest of the exhibition.
Photo: Robert Keziere/ Vancouver Art Gallery

"Massive Change: The Future of Global Design," an ambitious new exhibition on the domain of contemporary design, began its three-year international tour at in October.

A 16,000-square-foot (1500-square-meter) installation of staggering scope, Massive Change gallops the visitor through the current issues in design, from the challenges of an ever-expanding built environment and an increasingly modified nature, through the possibilities of composting plastics and aerated super-insulating glass, to the dilemmas of genetically engineered salmon and a human nose growing all alone afloat in a glass jar.

Along the way and without slowing down, the exhibition poses the question: "Now that we can do anything, what will we do?"

"Design is one of the most powerful forces at work today," says the exhibition's principal designer, Bruce Mau, known for his interdisciplinary design practice and his manifestos Life Style and "S,M,L,XL," the latter in collaboration with Rem Koolhaas. "Design is no longer simply a mechanism for adapting to the world in which we live," Mau says, "but is profoundly affecting change on a global scale." >>>

Click on thumbnail images
to view full-size pictures.

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...