Re: [design] text: Chtcheglov: Formulary for a New Urbanism

"Chirico remains one of the most remarkable architectural
precursors. He was grappling with the problems of absences
and presences in time and space. We know that an object that
is not consciously noticed at the time of a first visit can,
by its absence during subsequent visits, provoke an
indefinable impression: as a result of this sighting
backward in time, the absence of the object becomes a
presence one can feel. More precisely: although the quality
of the impression generally remains indefinite, it
nevertheless varies with the nature of the removed object
and the importance accorded it by the visitor, ranging from
serene joy to terror. (It is of no particular significance
that in this specific case memory is the vehicle of these
feelings; I only selected this example for its
convenience.)"

cf.
http://www.quondam.com/19/1884.htm
fore and aft as well