[design] 1 February 2000

coming apart at the seamless

This first hybrid [architectures] conference of the 21st century took place
within two cyberspace venues,

the UK based architecthetics discussion list (whose name itself is a hybrid)

and

the US based design-l discussion list,

beginning 30 December 1999 and ending, for reasons of practical closure
only,
31 January 2000.

The discussion activity at both lists throughout the month of January 2000
was well above average, yet only a few individuals, being members of both
lists, are aware of the concurrent discussions. It is thus for the purpose
of
broader awareness throughout the global architectural community that Quondam
hosts coming apart at the seamless, thereby presenting the combined daily
posts of both lists. In paradoxically "pure" hybrid fashion, moreover, the
active members of architecthetics and design-l had no idea that their
"literal" participation would ultimately manifest the first hybrid
[architectures] conference of the 21st century.

coming apart at the seamless starts with Marcus Ormerod (UK) asking, "Should
this be called a sculpture? If so, what criteria are we using? If all the
terminology being applied to it is architectural, such as walls, doors,
roof,
etc. does this push it into architecture? Should we be redefining all those
buildings which we can no longer access as sculpture?" and ends with Mary
Alice Miller (Brazil) stating, "Interesting what you've said about requiring
"everyone in South Florida speak English only," but "not going to promise
them access to the reference tools that describe the delimits of that
requirement", Nicholas. But I want just to remember that, nowadays, every
single person who wants to get in touch with the world, NEEDS to know
english. Here we have a single example: I've studied english for some years
and now I can access Design-L list; It's different from at about 135 million
people, just in Brazil, that cannot do this. Imagine in world... So, the
language IS, in fact "a tool of repression", of power, of capability. And in
our days - not only in Roman times! - English is this language."

Now, coming apart at the seamless poses the question: Are the above
citations
then the two extremes? or, through hybridization, do they come to mean the
same thing?