To: design-l
Subject: beyond the envelop (sketch)?
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 14:25:29 -0500

John inquires:
Weren't Polshek, Goldberger and Futter adorable onCharlie Rose last night?
Such happiness and glee.The envelope sketch! How whitewashy.

Steve replies:
I particularly liked the momentary, almost imperceptible awkwardness that
arose when the Natural Sciences' likewise new virtual museum (ie, all the
continually updated scientific data that will be available on the museum's
website) was being described by Futter as something much beyond the new
Polshek building.

I'm now wondering if all the built environment of our planet is
'progressing' towards becoming a global (virtual) theme park, while
cyberspace becomes the place where 'actual' 'real' data takes up residence.

...perhaps it would have been much more interesting if the renewed Museum of
Natural Sciences were clad with its own website.

Anyway, Brian, you do present a complex yet integrated way to think about
and/or imagine how screen facades are more than just decorative ornament.