[design] Monkey Sea Voyage .5

To: tout fait www Duchamp bulletin board
Subject: re: Duchamp says viewer finishes the work of art?
Date: 2002.10.28 17:57

Having thus been prompted by YaLing Chen's post, I went to read "The
Creative Act" within a copy of the latest reprint of SALT SELLER, a book I
purchased at the Philadelphia Museum of Art something like two years ago. I
know I never read this book cover to cover, but I probably read the short
'essays' when I first bought the book. Anyway, before reading "The Creative
Act" today, I first (re?)read the text right before it, namely, "Regions
which are not ruled by time and space....", text of a television interview
of Duchamp by James Johnson Sweeney January 1956 filmed at the Philadelphia
Museum of Art. [I was in Philadelphia at the time, but still in my mother's
womb, waiting for the last hours before Spring it turned out.] This reading
turned out to be completely apropos because earlier today I composed and
uploaded a series of webpages entitled Dossier Duchamp--xxx.htm and
follows--which comprise [almost] all the images I've taken of the Duchamp
Gallery at the Philadelphia Museum of Art since 11 February 1999.

Being now more aware of "Regions which are not ruled by time and space...."
I propose MUSEUM STUDIES 6.1 where visitors to the PMA Duchamp Gallery are
encouraged to bring along a copy of the Duchamp/Sweeney interview text and
then speak some of the passages while in the Duchamp Gallery, thus somewhat
closely reenacting sound waves first produced by Duchamp and/or Sweeney
within the same space, yet at a different time, obviously.

The next time I visit the PMA Duchamp Gallery you can be sure I'll
reenactingly speak "There is a symmetry in the cracking, the two crackings
are symmetrically arranged and there is more, almost an intention there, an
extra--a curious intention that I am not responsible for, a ready-made
intention, in other words, that I love and respect."