[design] crossology

earlier on the list crosses were discussed and
i just made a sculpture related to the ideas
shared earlier with regard to types of crosses,
and the typological/symbolic overlap with the
'cross-arm' electrical distribution found all
around the world carrying lines of cyberspace.
this sculpture is in line with others planned,
such as early boat- and ship-masts, relating
the forms and tensile structures of wire/wood
with aesthetics of electrical infrastructures.

Cross-Arm Distribution Poles. 3/2005.
36" x 3.5". wood dowels, glue, acrylic paint.
http://mnartists.org/work.do?rid=62602

Typological exploration of crossover aesthetics of wooden
"cross-arm" electric poles with private religious iconography.

JPEG image

left to right:
1) Letter T
2) Latin Cross
3) St. Peter's Cross
4) Archbishop's Cross
5) Russian Orthodox Cross
6) Anglo-Saxon (9th c.)
7) Papal Cross
8) St. Phillip's Cross [sideways]
9) Greek-Latin (4th c.)
10) Rayed Cross
11) Branch Cross
12) Calvary Cross
13) Golgotha Crosses
14) Greek Cross
15) St. Andrew's Cross
16) Early Christian Cross, Italy
17) Double Cross (Greek, 4th c.)
18) Crusader's Cross
19) Cross Potent
20) Repeated Cross (Canterbury, 9th c.)
21) Celtic Cross

in doing research on the various types of crosses
for making some sculptures, i came across the book
The Cross as Symbol and Ornament, Johannes Troyer,
Westminster Press, Philadelphia. which i recommend
not only for its fascinating graphic study but also
for the presentation using calligraphy and color. i
did not know such a book existed prior to seeing it.

i was also particularly taken by a quote from an-
other book i checked out the library on a librarians
recommendation upon asking for books that explore
cross symbolism. Symbolism of the Celtic Cross is
also intriguing in its own way, and these types of
crosses are explored in terms of being a world-axis...

'Similarly, the old Roman emperors and the popes
have the title of ~Pontifex for bridge-maker between
heaven and earth, which again shows the continuity
between pagan and Christian traditions.' (p.13)

(it was a quote referencing how 'standing stones'
were being modified with Christian symbols, instead
of being banished, they were instead incorporated.)

the idea of building bridges struck me as interesting,
as i have found it remarkable the endurance of a human
being such as the Pope, in so public a way, very moving
and one day, thinking about what it meant that someone
in such a place and role continues their struggle in
so public a way, i remembered he was a mountain climber
and this saying came into my mind about the Pope as a
type of bridge-builder (in terms of symbolism)...

"He has climbed the Holy Mountain

bringing Heaven closer to Earth."

to me these words, for me, capture what is an ongoing
event. i also found it of great interest what the Pope
previously said to VP Cheney about art in America, how
it should be publicly funded, how important it was to
support the arts. even in secular terms it is a view
of understanding of cultural richness and shared values.

(though not particularly religious though i find the Pope's
strength and conviction against adversity to be inspiring.)

brian thomas carroll: research-design-development
architecture, education, electromagnetism
http://www.mnartists.org/brian_carroll
http://www.electronetwork.org/bc/
Folow-ups
  • Re: [design] crossology