Re: [design] facadism

We took photos today of the free-standing facade (with massive
steel buttresses) of the Henry Miller Theater (porno king Henry,
indeed, reduced to a cariacature), on West 43rd Street, just off
Times Square, four of copies attached, I hope.

amazing, these photographs are entirely surreal
(the angle shot looks as if it's been spliced).
i wonder about the 'stage design' aspect of this
facadism, illusionism (of place, space, time) in
nifty packageable false scenic-environmentalism.
wish they'd leave it as is, quite interesting as
a fragment and could pass for high-deconisticism.
saw similar in San Francisco, analog photo some-
where of a wall, retained, for Highrise Complex.

(reminds me of when i was in europe, though they
had things (facades, doors, arches) with wooden
and metal bracing with a sense of camouflage that
blended in. as architecture it is inspiring, imo).

wondering if some if this is encapsulated in the
words, as written: real estate design/designers.

had been thinking, it seems almost like commerce
keywords would apply to the archimart industries;
where architect can be synonymous with retailer.
architecture as an extension of niche retailing,
wholesaling left to builders. very Venturiesque,
an acknowledgment of being/thinking inside a box.
architecture as retailing, a marketing strategy
for false-perspective photorealistic opportunity.
stage design, retailing, magic acts, illusionism.

Folow-ups
  • Re: [design] facadism
    • From: John Young