Re: [design] church and synagogue

T'would be swell if one of the great dead architects was awarded a Pritzker,
so pusillanimous is the award committee's imagination.

We visited the reconstructed Barcelona Pavilion last month, and while it
is an astonishingly exact recreation, what it lacks is any sign of aging over
80 years, and thus discomforts with its falsity as do restorations of
any ilk.

Meis would do no such idiotic design now based on copying himself, but
nothing hinders those intent on building designs of the masters as if a
rouged and powdered unchangeable carcass equals a variably-colored
corpus under stress and strain of temporality and impossible dreams
of mortality -- the latter a whistling in the dark conceit of the young who
know not what pleasures aging and end-time at hand reveals.

The appeal of sacral embambling of saints, and/or their body parts,
none as realistic as Madame Tussaud's plastic masterworks, or
Hollywood's virtual recreations, depended in part on the revulsion
of the living for the dead, conquered by facing sort of life-like
mortal remains instead of not at all threatening stone carvings.

Shocking doubters into believers is the magic of art (and all great art
steals its power from manipulative religious terror of the unknowable)
and verisimmilitude is a comforting illusion truth rather than its horror.

Heh, heh. Terror, horror, fear, magic. Preach on, fahder, bless me,
I have sinned, wink. Did you see the piece in the NYT today about Tom
Cruise force-feeding Scientology to movie suits? Sham to sham,
thus spake Zarathrustra.

Folow-ups
  • Re: [design] church and synagogue