Re: [design] artprovocateur

[posted at artforum/talkback 2003.03.05 16:23]

PUMPKIN ART

The public opening of the Jonathan Borofsky exhibit at the Philadelphia
Museum of Art was 6 October 1984. A picture of Borofsky with numbers all
over his face was on the cover of THE PHILADELPHIA SUNDAY INQUIRER MAGAZINE
the same day. Thus informed I went to the exhibition that afternoon and
found it magnificent, and that was before I became a part of it.

After a number of 'standard' galleries displaying Borofsky's works, the
exhibition culminated in a very large, double height room within which
Borofsky manifest an installation. There were selected works all over the
place, photocopies calling for nuclear disarmament all over the floor, and
even a ping-pong table with a sign inviting museum visitors to play.

An old woman was sitting on the only chair in the room, a metal folding
chair next to a folding work table that looked as though Borofsky had simply
left them there after he was finished. I waited for the woman to get up so I
could sit there and observe all the reactions of 'shock' exhibited by all
the other exhibition visitors.

After sitting there for a few minutes, another older woman came up to me and
asked, "You're the artist, aren't you?" I told her I wasn't, but she wasn't
convinced. "Well, you're dressed the same as that figure of the artist up
there hanging from the ceiling." It is true that both I and the figure of
Borofsky "flying" over the room were wearing blue jeans and a red sweater. I
was also wearing my beloved John Deere cap, however. Suddenly, I got an
idea.

On the table next to me was a pumpkin and a roll of masking tape. I started
tearing off pieces of the tape and started giving the pumpkin eyes, a nose,
and a mouth. Then I gave the pumpkin crazy hair standing on end with longer
pieces of tape. A crowd started to gather around. "Are you part of the
exhibit?" "I am now." Other questions were also entertained. Then a big
bouncer of a museum guard came up and asked, "Were you told to do that?!?" I
crossed my eyes and answered, "He made me do it." Then the guard's look
changed from perplexed to angry, so I stood up and whispered to the guard
that I did not intent to cause any trouble, and I will gladly leave the
exhibit if he escorts me out. The guard obliged and told me I could stay in
the rest of the museum, but "Please don't touch anything."

http://www.museumpeace.com/temp/19841006.jpg

When I returned to the Borofsky exhibit toward the end of its run the
pumpkin and the roll of tape were no longer there.