[design] notes to self 2 April 1999 (no foolin')

61
4.2.99
the saintly patronessing of woman architects

In an almost defeatist search [yesterday] to see if I could find out more as
to whether Constantina, the daughter of Constantine, could be considered the
true architect of early Christian churches, I quickly, through the Internet,
checked up on all the links I have seen in the recent past. I was
particularly interested in confirming the role of Constantina regarding the
initial building over the tomb of St. Agnes. In the process, I actually
found St. Helena, Constantine the Great's mother and Constantina's
grandmother. It was actually St. Helena that began the early Christian
church building campaign, most notable in Palestine itself.

Finding St. Helena as architect is no doubt one of my most satisfying
discoveries, and the more confounding because I "found" Helena on Holy
Thursday, and hence began to write about her on Good Friday, which is
extremely and uncannily significant because St. Helena is most known for
discovering the True Cross(!). Best of all, Helena's story is choke full of
so many relevant issues pertaining to woman in design and building.

I am going to begin relating this narrative (hypothesis) within
schizophrenia + architectures because of the (holy uncanny! holy?)
coincidence that the picture of Otto in 0003.htm is a picture I took of Otto
in 1975 as he posed outside St. Helena's Church in Olney, Philadelphia. The
St. Helena connection was there from the beginning and I had no idea -- but
I certainly have an idea now! I'm hoping to generate a large number of pages
through this narrative, and it would be wonderful devoting all April to the
relating of this story.

=====

62
4.2.99
zeitgeist architectures

I have now decided to present zeitgeist architectures within the TPH
[Timepiece of Humanity] portion of Quondam. This is exactly . . .

=====

63
4.11.99
not sure of anything

First of all, the last note was cut off at Otto's last doctor appointment. I
think I still know where the idea was headed, and I'll finish the note in a
subsequent note. Overall, my health has been terrible the last two weeks,
and all my work and energy has suffered as well. I'm still not well, and I
may be going to see a doctor tomorrow. As a result of my illness (chronic
asthma) my mental-creative spirit is at a definite low. I have no enthusiasm
for anything. In fact, I feel there is no point in my doing anything. I can'
t even get excited about St. Helena right now, even though I have an
abundance of evidence to make my case -- the first master architect of
Christianity was a woman!

What I'm most unsure about is why I should even continue to do all this
work, at the same time I'm not getting any real satisfaction out of it.
Moreover, what I believe to be my ulterior motifs, i.e., recognition and the
potential work and notoriety that it brings, may not at all be something
that I can live up to myself. What I mean is, I may never be in a position
personally where I can take on any further outside commitments. As much as I
think I want to be in demand, in reality, making commitments is exactly what
I don't want to do. It seems that what I really want is just my own time to
do with whatever I want.

This realization then lead me to wonder why am I doing any of this work if I
'm really not interested in what I thought it was all heading toward?
Perhaps what I haven't done yet, and what I should really concentrate on
doing, is to start using Quondam for commercial purposes, i.e., open the
museum shop. Simply put, if I don't want to have to extend myself by going
out into the world, then I have to get the world to come to me. This is
getting me a little excited, but I still have to do the actual work, and
unless I do that, none of my malaise will ever completely go away.

I didn't expect this note to lead to the conclusion that what I really need
to do is start making money via Quondam, but that is definitely what I need
to do if I am to make Quondam a worthwhile endeavor. I already have a number
of notes pertaining to the museum shop, and that is just where I'll start.
The only new sale item that I can think of now is to offer (create) selected
Seroux prints that I compose and print out using the color printer.

I think the best way for me to begin is to offer data that can be shipped
online -- that way I don't have to deal with shipping and handling.