[design] "The Pope's Funeral and Ichnographia Romaphilia"

LEAVING OBSCURITY BEHIND

"The Pope's Funeral and Ichnographia Romaphilia"
John the Baptist, Julian Abele and James Stirling

coinciding with the culmination of the first great Triumphal Way Reenactment
of the 21st Century

[It's a little unexpected, but preparations are coming together rather
quickly.

http://www.quondam.com/22/2117.htm provides the best orientation so far, but
still has to be coalesced with http://www.quondam.com/14/1394.htm .

"Don't forget to look through the archives."

http://www.quondam.com/21/2067.htm
http://www.quondam.com/21/2069.htm

from an email to friend 19 December 2004:
[Things are getting busy here in preparation for the commencement of Leaving
Obscurity Behind, the Horace Trumbauer Architecture Fan Club Convention, 28
December 2004. All the guests are getting their accommodations set via
Ichnographia Romaphilia--one of the highlights of the convention is that all
the guests are in a constant state of bilocation between Philadelphia and
Rome, with the register being the match of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and
the axis of life of the Ichnographia Campi Martii--oddly, Fairmount and the
Vatican Hill are the 'same place.'
excerpt from http://www.quondam.com/22/2118.htm

"It's great how where the dead Pope celebrated Mass in Philadelphia marks
exactly the spot where the bilocations intersect."

[Last night I remembered that Pope John Paul II celebrated Mass 3 October
1979 right in the center of Logan Circle (on a large platform built over the
Swan Fountain especially for the occasion). I was there that day too, and
later on I tell about how I got in fairly close without a ticket.]
http://mail.architexturez.net/+/Design-L.V1/archive/msg20329.shtml
2003.09.04

Getting back towards Logan Circle, I go into the Basilica of Sts. Peter and
Paul, where I haven't been in over ten years, and haven't been in while
empty in 25 years. For some reason, I found it to be enormous inside. I
guess it just is enormous, and actually quite nice architecturally, very
Renaissance Rome. I notice within one of the side chapels is the chair used
by Pope John Paul II while he was in Philadelphia 1979. Since no one else
was around and the railing to the chapel was only 2 feet tall, I decided to
go sit in the chair myself. I found those few seconds sitting to be quite
intense, so I got up quickly because otherwise I would have gotten way too
comfortable.

Well, what do you do after having sat in one of the Pope's chairs? To be
honest, I was in a very good mood the rest of the day.
http://mail.architexturez.net/+/Design-L.V1/archive/msg22775.shtml
2003.09.12]

"You know, it didn't take Rainier two seconds to get here."

"Well, he really did miss Grace."

"And with the two of them going back to Ocean City again, the Jersey Shore's
gonna be great this summer."

"How come he right away wanted to go with Grace to Memorial Hall."

"That's were he was last in Philadelphia, at John's Funeral, and it wasn't
at all easy for him to be in Philadelphia without Grace back then."

"I heard he's already making up Pennsylvania gambling jokes."