[design] Happy Birthday Julian Abele

OUT OF THE SHADOWS
After decades of obscurity, African-American architect Julian Abele is
finally getting recognition for his contributions to some of 20th-century
America's most prestigious buildings -- by Susan E. Tiffet
Smithsonian February 2005

Chief designer Julian Abele modeled Duke University's chapel after Britain's
Canterbury Cathedral.

Abele was elected president of the University of Pennsylvania's student
architectural society.

"I hired my brains," declared Trumbauer, who added Abele to the firm's
roster in 1906.

[Trumbauer had no formal training in Architecture himself (a born architect
I guess), but he did pay for Abele's studies at the Ecole des Beaux Arts,
Paris.]

Two firms collaborated on the design of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, for
which Abele created dramatic perspective drawings.

Over 44 years, Abele designed or contributed to the design of some 250
buildings, including Harvard's Widener Library.

(All the above quotations are the illustration captions within "Out of the
Shadows."
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian/issues05/feb05/shadow.html )

Interestingly, Julian Abele's death, 23 April 1950, calendrically coincides
with the birth of St. Catherine de Ricci, 23 April 1522. The Dominican
Sisters of St. Catherine de Ricci presently own a good bit of Trumbauer
architecture.

Elstowe
http://www.quondam.com/19/1814.htm
Powerhouse of the Elstowe Estate
http://www.quondam.com/19/1811.htm
Squash Court and Garden at Chelten House
http://www.quondam.com/19/1824.htm

sorry Tafuri
http://www.quondam.com/19/1873.htm