Re: [design] reading lists (was: question)

[I'm afraid I'll be reading Parts II and III of A QUONDAM BANQUET OF VIRTUAL SACHLICHKEIT several times the rest of this summer, but...]

Here's the five books I got from Temple U.'s libraries yesterday. (The alumni library card allows borrowing (for a month) only up to five books at a time.)

1.
E. A. Andrews, COPIOUS AND CRITICAL LATIN-ENGLISH DICTIONARY, 1859.
This is virtually the same dictionary I used in 1998 when I translated all the Latin labels of the ICHNOGRAPHIA CAMPI MARTII. The dictionary I used in 1998 has not been returned to Temple's library since February 2005. Luckily there is this second reduced (in scale) copy. Let me just say here that there is only so much proof-reading that on can do in a day without getting a headache. Anyway, I found that the two dictionaries are different (at least) under the BELLONA citation. The first citation is copied within "dies sanguinis" at http://www.quondam.com/16/1564.htm , yet the citation in the 'smaller' dictionary does not mention 20 March as the dies sanguinis. I does add "as if seized by madness" however. This smaller dictionary also defines Bellona as "the horrible blood-loving goddess of war" which I don't recall having read in the other larger dictionary. Imagine 1651 pages of very fine print just like that.

2.
54th Carnegie International catalogue, 2005.
I wanted to go to this exhibit in Pittsburgh this past winter, but never made it. I'm at least happy to see larger (more detailed) reproductions of three Tomma Abts paintings. I might read some of the texts.

3.
Alberto Iacovoni, GAME ZONE: PLAYGROUNDS BETWEEN VIRTUAL SCENARIOS AND REALITY, 2004.
This volume is part of The IT Revolution in Architecture series published by Birkhauser. I've decided to read all of this, although it looks to be a bit too "video game" centric. There doesn't seem to be any mention of the games www.quondam.com has been architecturally playing for the last seven odd years now however. Typical. Did this original content first sent to design-l inspire the editors and/or author?
-- http://mail.architexturez.net/+/Design-L.V1/archive/msg18669.shtml

4.
Mario Gandelsonas, ed., SHANGHAI REFLECTIONS: ARCHITECTURE, URBANISM, AND THE SEARCH FOR AN ALTERNATIVE MODERNITY, 2002.
I might read an essay of two.

5.
J. Francois Gabriel, CLASSICAL ARCHITECTURE FOR THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY: AN INTRODUCTION TO DESIGN, 2004.
I like classical architecture a lot, but what is taught of classical architecture here is so very mediocre. It's like a pathetic parody. I might read a chapter or two just for laughs.
Folow-ups
  • Re: [design] reading lists
  • Re: [design] reading lists (was: question)
    • From: { brad brace }