[design] Envisioning the Past

Sam Smiles and Stephanie Moser, editors, ENVISIONING THE PAST: ARCHAEOLOGY AND THE IMAGE (Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing, 2005).

I've been looking forward to getting/reading this book for almost a year now because of Susan M. Dixon's "Illustrating Ancient Rome, or the Ichnographia as Uchronis and Other Time Warps in Piranesi's Il Campo Marzio." therein. I borrowed this book from Temple U's library yesterday.

I've known Sue Dixon since 1975, as we started architecture school together. Sue and I had many phone conversations regarding Piranesi and the Campo Marzio from 1994 to 1997. We hardly communicate at all anymore, and that's mostly because Sue sees my Campo Marzio work as too outside the realm of academia and also somewhat infringing upon the work that she herself wanted/wants to do. In her last email to me (of almost two years ago) she actually suggested that "publishing via the web is not copyrighted." Of course, I immediately informed her that her supposition was completely bogus, and it is indeed unfortunate that such a notion is indicative of how academia chooses to view any kind of publishing that is outside of academia's own control.

I still like Sue, but I don't like the academic mold that she and all others like her have to conform to. I particularly dislike how my unprecedented Campo Marzio work remains academically unrecognized. Granted, I was surprised to find Sue actually mentioned me in a footnote within her essay above, but all that really does is point to a rather large lacunae in her references. I'll be "de-constructing" "Illustrating Ancient Rome..." in a series of subsequent posts to design-l, in a way, taking "Illustrating Ancient Rome..." to a more complete level of disclosure. Here's something for starters:

The whole point of Dixon's "Illustrating Ancient Rome..." occurs in one sentence on page 121:

"In this sense, the Ichnographia reads as a memory of an ancient Roman past rather than a historical reconstruction of it."