[design] [Fwd: Re: how's this?]

brian, here is the first mail leading to the decision. i'll dig up the rest (it is on some backup disk not connected to my machine) but in effect we decided we'll pull design-l.v2 if steve continues to hassle me.
my argument, briefly, was; i have been deeply uncomfortable about this guy for quite some time, and really, it is not worth it to host the list only to have him bad-mouth me at every available opportunity.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: how's this?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:58:55 -0600
From: brian carroll <human@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Anand Bhatt. <anand.bhatt@xxxxxxxx>

I know Anand. I didn't bargain for it either
and it is tiring to be mired in it. I do not
know what would be best, I think the threads
would be great for everyone and was planning
to write a disclaimer taking responsibility,
to send complaints to me, should the archives
be placed back online. In the long-term and
medium-term it is a good idea, though short-
term it is of questionable value and also a
real lack of appreciation for what it involves.
The issues with Howard are non-issues regarding
the archive's public status and that is why I
would make a disclaimer, and also clarify why
and how this is so prior to any launching. It
is in my view a way to not engage or further
'problematize' the situation, to switch to a
new (newly interpreted/threads-based) archive
which seemed the ideal solution, as it is a
win-win for Howard's and the v2 approaches.
And would pacify and allow people to move on.
Yet further efforts should be weighed against
the outcome, if it will be worth the work. I
cannot say for your role. From my vantage it
would be worthwhile long- and medium-term, it
would be possibly worthwhile short-term if a
disclaimer was sent, an option to the current
impasse with Howard to live-and-let-live, and
a new archive would help define new dimensions
in the interactions between internet piranhas.
I don't know what you'll decide to do, I am of
the mind to place them online just to get it
over with so that it is not the focus, and to
get beyond it. The one fear I have now is that
if it is not placed online a conspiracy theory
may percolate as to why, and become a long-term
migraine headache, whereas now it is still short.
To deal with it sooner-than-later will give less
time and credence to any such thinking, though it
is possible it could be used to wield power online
or the list so it has me concerned as it is going.
My recommendation is to place them online if you
can, and then I would prepare the disclaimer for
review, then announce when it is ready. Prior to
that I was planning to write about the reasoning
for the archives though it is not fully formed in
my mind, or I am not sure I want to write right
now the way things are going. Best thing to do
is to stay out of the fray and let the archives
speak, in my opinion. Things can change quickly.
In any case, have needed to consider all of this
and so have been reflecting on what to propose is
possibly a navigable way through this. Also, great
photograph, thanks. The rich depth of the grayscale
reminds me of the AZ site itself, intriguing. Brian