Re: Response to Suggestion

Hello,

I am the suggester of the possible use of the word <essent> in place of
the word <being>. The reason I offered this to subscribers is that I
noticed a couple of letters in which the distinction between [B] and [b]
was not completely understood. This distinction is among the first which
Heidegger makes, and it is integral to understanding [B&T] at all. The
reasons for the distinction between ontical [beings-that-are], or
[essents-that-are] and the ontological [Being-as-such] should be most
clear to the reader before reading even the fifth section which discusses
Dasein in its everydayness. The purpose of this term, [essent], becomes
clarified and justified when Heidegger states that Dasein has <no>
essence because it is not a Thing, but rather a way-to-be, and therefore
has no essence- beings have essence, and the closer term to elucidate
this fact is [essent]. Hope that helps, and it is still my practice to
use that terminology.

Anthony Dominioni
(Tone)
Stony Brook University