Re: Falling. Must we fall?

A great deal depends upon what is meant by "assuming" one's
guilt/fallenness/thrownness. What does it mean to "take over" or even to
understand thrownness?

This is why I originally suggested having a look at Christopher Fynsk's
book. (I don't think he would be considered part of the Yale-Berkeley axis)

He writes:
"Being-toward-death, then, is a repetition that brings Dasein into the
very possibility of repetition. To express this 'circular' paradox more
tightly and in terms of our previous question: Dasein's coming into the
fascination of thrownness is its emergence from it. In this formulation
we recognize that the structure of the hermenutic circle already obeys
the paradoxical movement that Heidegger will later unfold in his
interpretation of aletheia. (In fact, to think Dasein's structure of
being in terms of a circle is probably to remain in logical terms,
however scandalous this circle might seem to logic itself. Thinking in
terms of a circular movement, we tend to think in a linear fashion-- we
move from one point in the circle and return to that point via a linear,
temporal movement. This leads to the notion that all of the moments in a
circular movement are carried up into that moevement [Aufgehoben, Hegel
would say]; in existential terms, such a conception would imply that, in
its being toward-death, Dasein subsumes or appropriates that more
original disappropriating experience that is Dasein's encounter with its
thrown possibility. We need to think this circular movement, on the
contrary, as a simultaneous, open-ended movement in two opposing
directions--not in terms of a circle but in terms of a paradoxical
structure of simultaneous approach and withdrawal, of a casting forth
that casts back.)"

I think Babette Babich's response, properly understood, gives the way to
answer Adorno, rather than feeding the criticism. But it all depends
upon what "taking over" thrownness amounts to and how it is understood.

Sarah