Re: Falling. Must we fall?

Colin,
I see your concern, but I think there is an answer:

The uncanniness, or feeling of not being at home, is a primordial condition
of Dasein. Dasein's most basic state, of inauthenticity, requires Dasein
to deny its possibilities, of its death and of its thrownness. But because
Dasein essentially is the kind of Being for whom its Being is an issue
(care), this makes Dasein uncomfortable in its denial. The process which
Heidegger urges Dasein to undertake is to cease to feel not-at-home because
Dasein is nothing but Being-in-the-world. And so in this case of
uncanniness, Dasein has an 'out' by doing what it does best, caring.

In my own formulation of an admittedly similar question there is no such
'out' of fallenness because fallenness is not merely primordial, but
existentially necessary (if such things are possible). Care can not uproot
us from thrownness or fallenness because even
being-authentically-towards-death ought not be able, according to
Heidegger, to change the precondition of fallenness. In your formulation
regarding uncanniness, there is nothing in Heidegger which prevents us from
progressing from our primordial conditions through care, whereas
existentials do not enjoy a similar freedom.

See you at bowling later, Colin.

Ethan

Ethan Leib (Yale '97).....ethan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Enlightenment says the world is nothing but a dream. Everything is an
illusion; nothing is real. Good or bad. You can change it anyway you
want, you can rearrange it.......Van Morrison