Re: Heidegger and death

On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Christopher Pound wrote:

> > That is, Heidegger
> > could have replaced anxiety with, say, love (I don't know if he could have
> > but this is a hypothetical example) but ...
>
> If I want to talk about death, my speaking will have been occasioned
> from the proper pathos, because pathos is the ground of logos.
> Love gives me no _reason_ to speak of (my own) death.

Pathos is the ground of logos; and isn't love the ground of pathos? Would
love not be the only 'reason' to speak authentically of one's
ownmost death: because in love I want to share everything with [an]Other,
but my own death I cannot share. I realize the possibility of
impossibility through/in love. Giving voice to this, which is the
very pathos of pathos, is a declaration of love, the "till death do us
part."

Still lovers cry "Not even death will part us." And this too attests to
the pathos of love: that the measure of love be loss.

Sorry if I am missing your point to make my own.

rita

  • Re: Heidegger and death