Re: est/The Forum

Dear David,

I don't know how long ago you did the Forum, but I did one of the last est
Trainings, in 1984 and one of the first Forums in 1985. Landmark
Education, the present incarnation of Werner Erhard and Assoc., openly
acknowledges the influence of Heidegger on their "work." Specifically, the
Forum is described as an ontological inquiry, grounded in being.
Philosphers Fernando Flores and Arnold Seigel worked with Werner to add the
distinctions that life shows up in a conversation. That we are "thrown"
into a body of listeners who have a certain already-always way of
interpreting or being in the world. The intention of the Forum is to train
people to live a more authentic, generative life, not thrown from their
past. This is accomplished by living as your word. Your word gives your
world, by making promises, declarations, and requests -- Speach Acts
distinguished by John Searle and outher linguistic philosphers.

Fascinating stuff.

Ed