Re: anxiety

On 12.26. Hopkins wrote:
">
And if it is religion, how does Heidegger define responsibility to the
Other. Religiousness A seems to locate my responsibility in what
god tells me to do, seemingly mitigating or annulling my personal
responsibility to the Other...what does Heidegger have to say about
Religiousness B? "

This seems to me to be a very difficult question for it is not at all clear
whether Heidegger speaks anywhere of responsibility. Even if Sorge (care) is
a form of it, I am not sure that one has exhausted the posibilities for
ethics and/or religion in Heidegger. I am thinking of later texts on
language and how/whether one can find responsibility in them. The whole talk
on essence and historicity, i.e., displacement/withdrawal and errancy, may
already be situated in and situating the relation with the other within what
we would call responsibility. Still it is the question of how to relate the
Dasein (that is, Mitsein, and Sorge) problematic of Being and Time, with the
language texts and their "clearing" which signifies truth - another truth, or
the other of truth.
A more general question for thinking responsibility with Heidegger may,
perhaps, be: How to make responsibility speak so that singularity does not
exclude multiplicity, or vice versa? (In Derrida's Gift of Death, this
qusetion appears as, for example, a difference between my cat and all other
starving cats, and if I feed the one but not others, if I (Abraham)
sacrifice Isaac have I already sacrificed the whole possibility for ethics,
or have I, in fact, opened such a possibility. Or, perhaps, one has to
rethink the relation responsibility/sacrifice. etc. etc.)
Petar

  • Re: anxiety
    • From: Strider