Re: Heidegger and technology

To what degree is Heidegger's discussion of language tied to his
discussions of technology? Certainly, on the surface, Heidegger's critique of
linguistics as concerned with the functional rather than the experiential
seems to be tied to his critique of the age of technology. I take this as a
critique of language as mere expression or encoding and decoding of already
present thoughts which occur outside of language. Rather, Heidegger seems to
be pointing us towards how language is not only funcitional but also poetic in
the way that it constructs and situates our realities. I envision
Nietzsche and Derrida, though I am not quite sure of Heidegger himself, as
having an "experience" with language in their use of rhetorical tropes to
disrupt the flow of the functional encoding and decoding of singular certain
meaning through language in order to create a plurality of possible meanings
as well as lead us back to language in the same way that a metafictionist uses
literary form to highlight the constructed nature of literary texts.
Does this sound reasonable or completely off base? I would appreciate
any comments on this or any other possible connections between language and
the age of technology.
Thanks,
Todd Harper
University of Louisville