Re: Idle Chatter

Hello,

I too am a lurker on this list, but a very observant one. I am a
philosopher, a teacher, and a cyberphile. It amuses me that virtually all
of you seem to think this forum has suffered some irremediable blow to
its very 'being', if you will. I admire BB's spite and spunk, though I
don't often agree with her. What I appreciate is her willingness to
diverge from *accepted* academic discourse. Please tell me where the
written or unwritten rule is that says humans who will disagree
vehemently in person _cannot_ do the same on a list. For the most part, I
find the typical academic tenor a bore. It bores me in print, it makes
your curriculum vitae look good, and gains you a pat on the back from
your university, but it is rarely original, often is a rework of a
previously equally boring treatise, and adds nothing to understanding,
while adding a great deal to paper glut. And there you have the reason
why I am a cyberphile. I want what this list has often given. Learning,
dialectic, exchange in all its ugly, gloriousl vitality. Why do you mull
the non-death of this list even as you ponder its murder?

S. McKenzie
Philosophy
University of South Florida, Tampa

  • Re: Idle Chatter