Re: Good Times virus is a hoax

just a few quick notes to some recent messages and then i shall return to
lurker status:

On Jan 29, 11:05am, Carson Phillip wrote:
> The "Good Times" virus is a hoax. It is not possible to get a virus on your
> system by simply reading a text message--you would have to download an
> encoded file, decode it and run the program. "Good Times" has been around
> for a year or more and even has a web site devoted to the study of the
> propogation of this urban legend. If you have web access go to
> http://www.yahoo.com and do a search for it.

all very very true and sound advice. however, a small word of warning
(from someone who works with computer networking, administration and
security for a living): though you cannot technically have a virus in
a message, modern mail readers provide mechanisms for attachments (using
MIME and other methods) to messages. such attachments do indeed need to be
separated and explicitly accessed (or executed if its a program) but that
could be done by a simple mouse-click over a button on your mailreader.
the good times virus is indeed a hoax, but do be careful about how you
treat mail messages with attachments. an organization which deals with
these issues is CERT. if you receive a virus warning of this sort, it
would be a good idea to check cert's web site (http://www.cert.org/) to
see if they have any reports on it. phil i hope you think my addition
to your comments are not out of place.

On Jan 30, 9:56pm, Herr von Plunkett auf ABQ wrote:

> G'd day folks, can anyone pppoint to works/articles that involves
> Heidegger and the Kyoto School/Japanese Buddhism?

you might want to take a look at "heidegger and asian thought".
unfortunately, i do not have the publisher info with me right now.
if you have trouble locating it, send me email and i will mail you
the info.

On Jan 31, 1:02pm, Babette Babich wrote:

> On second thought, changing my mind here in mid aetherial-
> ion-flux, I'll not unsubscribe.

well then, welcome back! ;-). to all those involved in this raging
flamewar, may i just suggest that there is a large silent audience
i think here on this list that is willing to listen to all of your
opinions! so please, if you want to fight probably you should take
it to personal e-mail. if not, i think i can safely say that there
are always folks interested in hearing your thoughts on heidegger's
works, so lets hear them instead! thank you,

-- ravi